Thursday, November 8, 2012

Lights, Wool, Action

I hate to admit it, but recently I haven't been riding as much as I'd like to. Once it starts getting cold out, it's easy to find excuses to stay in and other activities to occupy your time with. The days get shorter and motivation to be on the bike lessens. However, getting out and staying warm isn't all that hard, and when I finally got back in the saddle, I quickly remembered how much I like riding this time of year.

DSC_0295.jpg

Getting dressed properly can be the most difficult part, and it can make or break your experience. From what I've been told, and through trial and error, I've pretty much got the formula down. I typically start with a basic jersey to wick moisture, then a long sleeve wool jersey to further wick moisture and provide insulation. Outside of that, I wear a wind jacket or rainshell, to keep the wind out and trap the heat. On my lower body I wore regular bib shorts, some old pants cut into "knickers", tall wool socks and cycling shoes with basic toe covers. Add a pair of wind resistant gloves and a cheap-ass hat and you're good to go all autumn long. Temperatures were in the low 40's-upper 30's and I was sweating.

DSC_0267.jpg

Did about 40mi on The Great Western Trail. I rode fast and I rode slow. That's all the data I have because I took the computer off my bike and numbers aren't important. The cool air felt great, there were no bugs, no sunburn, and no fear of overheating. Fall is awesome.

There was even a Sasquach sighting:

DSC_0308.jpg

My favorite bike and my favorite tail light, the Knog Blinder:

DSC_0309.jpg

I typically only ride the trail at night for some reason, but in the daylight there's even a bit of scenery to keep you entertained. It's almost "pretty"...

DSC_0305.jpg

Trainers are EVIL. Go outside and do the REAL THING!


No comments: